Part 3: The Solution
To address these issues and concerns, we researched the contracting methods that proved the most successful, and also interviewed contractors about the databases to which they attribute their success. We were surprised to learn how many contractors relied primarily on two databases and a straightforward, yet targeted marketing plan. Using this information, we developed our Simplified Acquisition Program, streamlining for our clients how they market their business, and how they learn about and bid on federal contracts.
The Simplified Acquisition Program provides small business contractors with tools to brand their business, network with government buyers, and win government contracts. Once enrolled, businesses can develop key relationships with purchasing officers identified with their list of Top Contracting Agents and Prime Contractors.
Clients who qualify for and enroll in our Simplified Acquisition Program get:
- System for Award Management (SAM) Registration – The SAM database is the primary supplier database for the U.S. government. The database collects, validates, and stores contractor data, and makes this data to federal agencies and procurement officers. To receive a government contract, a business must have an accurate, current, and complete SAM Registration.
- FedBizOpps (FBO) Notifications – Procurement officers are required to post solicitations and bid notices for contracts worth more than $25,000 in FBO. Clients enrolled in our Simplified Acquisition Program get email notices each time a contract is posted that calls for services and products they provide.
- Dynamic Small Business Search (DSBS) – The DSBS is an internal database of small business government contractors who have been certified by the SBA under the 8(a) Business Development, HUBZone programs, and other federal set-asides. DSBS populates certain fields in the System for Award Management (SAM). Clients enrolled in our Simplified Acquisition Program are automatically added to the DSBS. Each DSBS profile includes:
- Optimized SEO Keyword Searches
- Work Experience/Past Performance
- Matching Set-Aside Qualifications
- Capabilities Narrative
- Geographic Location
- Direct Access to Buyers & Prime Vendors – Clients enrolled in our Simplified Acquisition Program get contact information of key prime contractors and government buyers who have solicited for the products and/or services they provide. Having this information means our clients can roll out a more directed and targeted marketing campaign.
- Federally Formatted Website – Clients enrolled in our Simplified Acquisition Program receive a customized government-formatted website designed to bypass government spyware and firewalls and also include the information a procurement officer needs when awarding contracts. These federally formatted websites include:
- Home Page
- Vendor Profile
- Capabilities Statement
- Services Page
- Past Performance
- Photo Gallery
- Contact Us Page
- Access to Training – Clients enrolled in our Simplified Acquisition Program can access comprehensive training to learn about the different databases in which we’ve added their information, how to locate and bid on contracts, and how to follow-up on contracts that they do not win.
Below, we include case studies on two businesses who were new to government contracting prior to enrolling in our Simplified Acquisition Program and who enjoyed financial success. Keep in mind that for each of these clients, we completed their System for Award Management Registration, which is a requirement to become a federal contractor.
Greatrex Global Learning
Greatrex Global Learning makes available leadership development and training modules for businesses and agencies looking to develop structure. After enrolling in our Simplified Acquisition Program in August 2014, we rolled out for Greatrex Global Learning its federally formatted website, gave it a list of procurement officers in its industry, provided it with bid training, and created FBO and DSBS profiles.
With these profiles in place, the company received notices in their email each time a procurement officer posted a contract opportunity calling for their services, and enjoyed greater visibility to procurement officers, thanks to its DSBS profile.
Their federally formatted website also included information about the business, their capabilities, past performance, and primary contact information – all of which a procurement officer must know when awarding a contract.
We also provided Greatrex with a list of top procurement officers in their industry. This list included optimized contracting officers and prime contractors who may have subcontracting opportunities available. Greatrex received training on how to best position themselves and their services to the people and agencies on this list.
In September 2014, less than one month after enrolling in our Simplified Acquisition Program, Greatrex Global Learning received a $27,900 contract from the NSA/DoD. Also that month, the company received a $17,500 contract from the Office of the Secretary of Defense – Pentagon. In January 2015, it received a $22,350 contract from the Department of the Navy.
So, in six months, the company – who had never before attempted to bid on government contracts until after enrolling in our Simplified Acquisition Program – received $67,750 in federal contracts.
Acquisition Specialist John Lynch assisted Greatrex Global Learning with the initial qualification process, SAM Registration, and the government marketing preparation for entry into the federal marketplace.
You can view these contracts and more won by Greatrex Global Learning via the Federal Procurement Data System (FPDS), which makes available information about previously awarded contracts, contract winners (aka potential competitors), NAICS Codes for which contracts were awarded, and more.
Robert Doscher Associates
Robert Doscher Associates aka RDA National, Inc., a woman-owned small business (WOSB), enrolled in our Simplified Acquisition Program in December 2013. That year, WOSBs were awarded more than $15 billion, or about 4.32% of the $464 billion awarded in all contracts. The company enrolled in our Simplified Acquisition Program because they wanted their fair share of the contracting pie.
Acquisition Specialist Johnathan Maness made clear that the better and more targeted they marketed their business, the more success they’d enjoy – and he was right. We launched their federally formatted website in December 2013, and, over the next five months, updated it with information about their services, past performance, and company successes. The better and more robust your federally formatted website, the better you’ll look to a procurement officer. We also created a highly effective DSBS profile for the company. This profile included information about its ownership, NAICS codes, contact information, federally formatted website, and its certification as a small disadvantaged, women-owned business.
In June 2014, six months after enrolling in our Simplified Acquisition Program, and less than seven weeks after finalizing its website, Robert Doscher Associates received a $23,000 contract from the department of the Navy in Centerport, NY. Over the next few months, it earned contracts valued at more than $147,196, and on the company’s one-year anniversary enrolled in the program, it was closing in on $200,000 in government contracts.
Despite this clear success, each business mentioned above would have missed out on their contract awards because, prior to enrolling in our Simplified Acquisition Program, they were making one or more of the following mistakes:
- They did not have a DUNS Number.
- They did not have a SAM Registration.
- They did not have a CAGE Code.
- They were not marketing to government agencies.
- They did not have a federally formatted website.